Wrexham Youth 1
Stockport County Youth 2
Football League Youth Alliance (North West Conference)

Wrexham Youth
1 - 2
Stockport Co. Youth

Football League Youth Alliance (North West Conference)
Saturday, October 21st, 2023
Colliers Park
Attendance: 40
11:00am kick-off

Anton Connolly (pen.) (89)
Kylan Depiazza (57)
Kylan Depiazza (85)

Team Managers
Nick Chadwick Jamie Crowther

Starting Eleven
1. Jack Pilkington
2. Dan Wright
3. Dan Davies
4. Alex Moore
5. Aaron James
6. Max Purvis
7. Callum Edwards
8. Alfie Lussey
9. Anton Connolly
10. Harry Ashfield
11. Keane Hazeldine
Kane Mavrantziotis-Bove .1
Luke Partington .2
Freddie Redshaw .3
Harry Johnson .4
Jack Kenny .5
Rhys Watson .6
Che Gardner .7
Kingston Fligg .8
Kylan Depiazza .9
Ashton Mee .10
James Barry .11

12. Harry Dean
13. Bryn Owen
14. Hari Roberts
15. Mikey Hayman
16. Rio Owen
Billy Blake .13
Lee Williams .12
Joe Hillary .14
Christian Mulindwa .15
Jack Atkinson .16

Hari Roberts for Dan Wright (30)
Rio Owen for Harry Ashfield (50)
Mikey Hayman for Keane Hazeldine (58)
Harry Dean for Max Purvis (59)
Jack Atkinson for Che Gardner (65)
Joe Hillary for Freddie Redshaw (70)

None. None.

Red Cards
None. None.

Match Officials

James Hosie (Referee)
Octavian Toader & Matt Smart (Assistants)

Photography by @cledwyn2 Twitter

Match Report

Wrexham’s hopes of topping the fledgling EFL Youth Alliance (North West Conference) table were dashed as two second-half goals from Stockport’s Kylan Depiazza secured the visitors a surprise 1-2 win at Colliers Park, Anton Connolly’s late penalty proving no more than a consolation for the Young Dragons.

With several players having started for the reserves in midweek at Preston, PDP Lead Coach Nick Chadwick opted to rotate his line-up. Jack Pilkington made a welcome return from injury in goal whilst amongst the other changes, 16-year-old centre-forward Connolly was handed his competitive debut with Rio Owen dropping to the bench.

Having lost their opening six league games, Stockport showed a steely determination in the first half with chances at a premium as they closed-down any space in the centre of the park. The only incident of note was Dan Wright sustaining a nasty injury to his jaw, Hari Roberts taking over at right-back just 30 minutes into the game.

Rio Owen came on for Harry Ashfield early in the second period, but it was the visitors who took the lead on 57 minutes when Depiazza converted a cross from the right, the County striker nipping in between Max Purvis and Dan Davies to net from close range. Worse was to follow five minutes from time when, with Wrexham pushing for an equaliser, Depiazza raced clear to make it 0-2.

The home side reduced the arrears a minute from time when substitute Mikey Hayman was upended just inside the penalty area after battling hard to win possession. Ormskirk-born Connolly duly converted the spot-kick, but it was Stockport who held on to take the three points as the Young Dragons slipped to their first league defeat since the opening day of the season.

“It was a scrappy game, and for whatever reason we never really got going,” explained a clearly disappointed Chadwick after the match. “To their credit, Stockport were well organised, but we were untidy in possession and there was no flair in our performance. Yes, we made changes but that’s not an excuse. Some of the players needed some game time and it was an opportunity for them to push their claims.

“It’s a bit of a reality check for the lads, especially after the run we’ve been on of late. It’s a timely reminder that everything needs to be spot on irrespective of who is selected to play. They have to be ready to take their chance. It’s about the collective not individuals.”

Manager's Programme Notes